Friday, March 4, 2011

Not quite as expected...

Well, this week certainly hasn't shaped up to be what I thought it would.  I got hit with the nasty fever/cough/aches virus that's been going around.  I succummed on Monday and it's Friday and I'm better, but still not 100%.  Needless to say some, but not a lot of school got done this week.

We pretty much just focused on reading, writing and math.  The kids did 4 lessons in each writing and math and read in their books.  I dropped Byson's reading program and he just read to me this week.  Some books we enjoyed were:

The High Rise Private Eye (several)
Mr. Putter and Tabby (several)
M&M mysteries (several)
I Wish that I had Duck Feet
Zack's Alligator
The Incredible Journey (Kylie finished this in 5 days!  I guess she's motivated by animal stories!)
Prince and the Pauper (original)

We did get history in this week.  Jayden and Kylie did SOTW3 Chapter 7 on slavery.  The boys and I read 2 books together on slavery. 

The Village that Vanished
Slave Ship to Freedom Road (This one was pretty rough... but good to show how the slaves were treated)

We didn't get to science at all.

The kids also worked on their AWANA which we had intended to keep up with over vacation, but didn't. 

The other big thing I managed to fit in was getting Rylan to the clinic for his initial visit.  It went really well.  I really liked the dr. we saw.  He listened well and was calm.  He asked lots of questions to me and some to Rylan.  He confirmed my suspicions and would like Rylan assessed.  He said an assessment will probably just confirm what we already know.  Rylan will likely be diagnosed with Asperger's or Non-Verbal Learning Disorder or both.  The dr. also mentioned an anxiety group run by a practioner there that would be helpful for him.  Neither will likely happen until April because of scheduling.... it was nice to be heard.  Nice to confirm all the research and searching I've done over the past few years.  Nice to know both Rylan and we will have the help we need as he gets older and new things come up.

Rylan had "How to Eat Fried Worms" in his WWE lesson this week.  He LOVED the excerpts and wanted to get the book.  I found it digitally on audio and decided to have this be our audio book this week.  Little did I know this would be a highlight of the week for the kids!  We finished it in 2 days!  They sat spellbound not wanting me to turn it off!  You know, I try hard to give them good classical literature, but sometimes... ya just need to eat a worm!  :-)

Sorry... no picts.  Nothing exciting this week....

1 comment:

  1. Considering there was a sick momma, your family accomplished a lot! Sometimes a diagnosis really helps you know what to focus on and how to focus on it. Congratulation on that big step!

    ReplyDelete