Friday, March 11, 2011

A full week!

This week progressed much better than last and we got a lot accomplished.  It took me until mid-week to really feel somewhat normal again!  That was a rough flu!

 

We got 4 good solid days of school in.  Everybody progressed nicely in their basics.  Some books we enjoyed were:

Mr. Putter and Tabby books

Zack’s Alligator

The Three Snowbears

The Tooth Book

Keep the Lights Burning Abby

The Drinking Gourd

Fox Outfoxed

Fox on Stage

Newt

I Wish I had Duck feet

The Prince and the Pauper

Little Princess

 

Jayden has also been listening to Treasure Island.  We started this together, but we quickly lost the younger two boys… so Jayden is finishing it on his own.  I’m downloading The Tale of Despereaux right now.  That will be our next audio book.

Kylie is about to finish Level 4 of AAS.  We have two more steps left and I’m thinking she will be able to finish them next week.  Speaking of spelling… Jayden will participate in his first spelling bee on Saturday!  A new experience for all of us!  We’ve been reviewing the 4th grade words for a few weeks now.  The key will be how he does under pressure…. he’s not known for "being cool under pressure” so we’ll see what happens.  I hope he at least makes it a few rounds!

In history Jayden and Kylie listened to chapter 8 of SOTW3.  The first part was very confusing for the kids.  It basically outlined the different groups of people that have occupied Persia (Iran) over the years.  The second section on the Ottoman Turks was a little easier to understand.  The younger 2 boys and I took a week out to read a couple missionary biographies.  We read about David Livingstone and Amy Carmichael.  The boys really enjoyed these stories.  We borrowed them from a local church library so I think we’ll get some more!

image

We also memorized the next week’s worth of events on our history timeline.

 

In science, Jayden learned about Alkaline Earth metals and specifically magnesium.  Our experiment centered around chlorophyll (magnesium is found in chlorophyll).

  DSC_7437 DSC_7438

First we shredded some spinach and put it in a jar.  Then we covered the leaves with rubbing alcohol.  After an hour we put a coffee filter in and we were supposed to see color creep up the filter.  Nope.  Nothing but maybe a tinge of yellow.  Oh well….

DSC_7440 DSC_7441 DSC_7442

The camera couldn’t even pick up the VERY slight yellow tinge….

 

Kylie will finish up her lapbook on Hummingbirds next week.  (I’ll post picts next week)She’s really enjoyed this project.  Next she will be “test driving” a lapbook for chemistry as a favor to the author.  We’re excited to try it out!

 

The boys and I enjoyed reading several sections out of a children’s encyclopedia called Exploratopia.

image

I’m trying to figure out how to do interest led science with these guys.  I think we’ll just head to the science section of the library tomorrow to find some books.

 

In Bible we talked about Jesus in the garden right before and as he was arrested.

 

On Friday we went swimming for the first time since we were in FL.  We also went to a class play at the school our older two used to go to.  I have a couple violin students in the play so I thought it would be fun to go see them.  It was the class Kylie was in when she was in school.  Surprisingly I had a little twinge of wondering why we took them out…. how different her life would be….. like I said….  just a twinge!  ;-)

 

DSC_7434

My baby lost his first tooth!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great post-flu week. Are the missionary bios tied to history or are you doing them separately?

    Good luck to Jayden at the spelling bee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    We did do David Livingstone who was a missionary to Africa the week we were studying the beginning of slavery in North America. Amy was a missionary to India though and didn't really fit in... I was getting impatient though waiting until we got further in history (we are just after Jamestown) to read the missionary bios! I just decided we'd start independent of history.

    I'll post about the spelling bee tomorrow... it was a bit of a disappointment... :-(

    ReplyDelete