Our week started out well. Monday the little boys were thrilled to find out they get to watch TV while we test! No sourness from them! So, I put them in front of The Littles and Woody Woodpecker and they were as happy as clams. Jayden and Kylie each got to watch when they were not testing. How much better it will be next year when I can test both at the same time!
We did 2 sessions each on Mon, Wed. and Thurs...
Jayden's testing was much easier for me than Ky's. Kylie's I had to read most of the test to her. Jayden's I just give him a time limit and he reads and completes everything. He did well, but he hated being timed. His stress manifested in ear aches again this week. Now that I know there is nothing really wrong (just his anxiety really) I don't worry about it too much. I talked to him that this is how his body reacts to stress.
Kylie did really well for her first testing time. She said she got "bored" with coloring in all the dots. She said, "geez... this is just coloring in dots on EVERY page!" Yes, Dear... that's what testing is all about! :-) She did well though and hung in there well through both testing periods each day. Math got the best of her at one point, but once we finished math she perked up and we were able to finish well.
Jayden and I took our last trip to the laundry mat on Monday! He's a huge help hauling laundry in and out... we visited the used book store next door again. I'm pretty disappointed. Nothing really to speak of for non-fiction (children's), a whole wall of "twaddle" (I taught Jayden that word and he LOVED it!!) and her prices were pretty high. I've had much more luck at our "Friends of the Library" store which I'll hit tomorrow. I really envy those who have a homeschooling/used curriculum store in town! We have NOTHING like that. I'm going to have to look more for used book sales in the area....
I received my CW Aesop in the mail! I now have all the pieces.. I bought it used from a few different people. I'm a little nervous, yet very excited to start it. It's pretty high teacher involvement which scares me a bit.
We'll give it a try and see how it goes... I also just bought Junior Analytical Grammar (JAG) for Jayden so as soon as he finishes up his GWG we'll go into that.
I've been checking out a bunch of books I'm considering for logic stage history for Jayden. He's SO ready for more... there's so many to choose from it's a bit overwhelming... I'm also looking at "The Drama of American History" series mentioned on the WTM board. I'm really impressed with this! Thinking it might be a good resource for reading and then maybe using some type of American History Encyclopedia for outlining??? I checked out Joy Hakim's History of Us, but honestly I'm not overly impressed. I think I like the other series better.
Jayden has been perusing Story of Science by Joy Hakim and he's enjoying that. Not sure if I will use that as a "text" or not.... if nothing else he can read it a bit on his own... he's "that kind of kid!"
I'm fighting a virus... so I'm glad it's the end of the week! I'm looking forward to getting back into school routine next week.
Not too many picts this week...
Bryson can make just about anything out of paper!
Here he's showing off his "vacuum" and "mop!"
Kylie is getting ready for her ice show.
She's still nervous, but I think she's warming
up to the idea...
The boys worked typing stories all week.
Rylan has learned how to use periods! If I would
try to get him to write, forget it, but typing is right up
his alley... I'll have to find a story to post.
The new member of our family!
3 weeks of no laundry makes one appreciate
a washer at home!




Hooray for washers!!
ReplyDeleteWhat standardized test do you use with your children? I've never tested mine but daughter is heading into 6th next year and it might be a good idea to familiarize her with the process.
It's great that your children look forward to testing week. Enjoy the new washer!
ReplyDeleteDaisy,
ReplyDeleteI do the ITBS with them. It's cheap and I can give it at home. It's a state requirement, so I must test age 7 to 16. I would recommend doing some type of testing once in awhile. I'm not excited we have to do this, however I'm glad for the experience they get.