Friday, March 19, 2010

The Sweet Taste of... Routine!

It was so good to get back into routine this week!  The kids had a good week.  We even found a good bribe for Bryson to get his jobs done (pb cups!)... the way to that boy's heart is through his tummy!

Everything was pretty routine subject wise this week except Jayden started Classical Writing Aesop.  It's fairly easy for him so I will probably speed him through this first A book.  I wanted to start at the beginning though so that we both can learn the new way of doing things.  Better to do that on "easy" things.... we also started JAG for grammar.  It is also easy for him here in the beginning, but again... good that's the content is easy as we learn a new way of doing grammar.  I'll continue to give him a sheet of his GWG each week just to finish the few lessons we have in there.

Jay is just about finished with Delta!  He's SO DONE with long division!  I eased up a little on him at the end here.  He knows the concepts.  He's very excited to start fractions!  He has a lesson on volume left and a couple on Roman Numerals (which he already knows) so that will hold us for a week or so until LOF comes.  I'm going to supplement MUS with LOF.  I think it will be a fun way to make sure he's really getting the concepts.  Fractions is where I dropped off the "math train" so hopefully I'll learn something alongside him!

We didn't do any science this week...for some reason we didn't have time the beginning of the week, then I decided I didn't want to be 1/2 way through a week so we just didn't do it at all.  We'll start up again next week continuing on with our body unit.

We did a fun art lesson today learning about collage and shapes.  The kids each did a paper collage with a "spring" theme to it.

 Wednesday we went to a production of  The Music Man done by a Catholic school in town.  I had 3 violin students that were in the play so the kids enjoyed seeing them.  Very nice and fun for the kids!

And... Bryson learned to ride his bike with no training wheels!  I'm thinking he'll need a bigger bike real soon, but he's getting the hang of it.  Jayden actually taught him!  :-)  (Greg was a little sad that he taught all the others, but didn't get Bryson.... however, as soon as I let him know his youngest son was riding w/o training wheels he was right out there!)

Oh... and if you can believe it...our dishwasher quit on us this week!  After three weeks with no washer we didn't mess around and Greg went right out and bought a new dishwasher.  And... he also (before the dishwasher fiasco) bought a new laser printer/photocopier!  I've been really wanting a photocopier for school.  Looking forward to learning to use it!

Some picts from the week:

 Yeah Bryson!!  Look Ma... no wheels!
Big Brother is such a good helper!
We love art!  Yeah for Fridays!
Bryson was in his element... paper!
Jayden's picture of him on a bench by a sidewalk
with trees and a flower box.
Kylie made a sunset with trees.
Rylan made a self portrait with "Blankie!"
(note the two blades of grass to make it the "required Spring theme!")
Bryson made a picture of Spring at our house.
He fringed the grass nicely (albeit pink!) and even
made the gate and trees in the back yard.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week! Don't you just love it when it gels like that?!

    I totally get the science thing! I would have done the same thing! Who wants to be a half week off the rest of the year, right? ;)

    I'm impressed with what all your oldest is doing! I'll be anxious to hear how you guys like LOF!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome week. I love it when the routine flows! Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Routine is a beautiful thing. Sorry about the dishwasher. Mine is currently in pieces and I am REALLY not wanting to spend the $$ for another. Congratulations to Bryson on his success riding a two wheel bike. I hope all my dc will be doing that this spring.

    ReplyDelete