Well, it’s finally come! Summer to MN! After all the rain the previous couple weeks we’ve had some really nice weather this week. No threat of cancelled ball games which was a nice change. We had a great week for school. We’ve hit our groove well so we’re not taking next week off as I originally thought. The kids are happy with their morning planned for them. Gives them less time to bicker! ;-)
Here’s the update on school for the week
Math
Jayden moved onto MM5b this week. He’s reviewing some things in fractions he’s already done. He remembers it well and has done well this week.
Kylie continues to do very well with division. Making very good progress and she likes it!
Rylan has been working hard on learning the skill of regrouping for subtraction. He’s doing GREAT!
Bryson worked with even and odd numbers this week.
Reading
Everyone is doing well with their reading. I’m letting them choose a bit more what they want to read this summer for school time. Jayden is still finishing Johnny Tremain (he doesn’t get to choose until he finished that!). Kylie chose a series of books about girls triumphing over boys by the author of Shiloh. We found them when we were looking for Shiloh and couldn’t find the first book in the Shiloh series. Rylan dove back into Harry Potter finishing up one of the books and going onto The Half-Blood Prince. I don’t know how much he’s getting out of it. He reads extremely fast. But, he seems to be enjoying it and I know he wouldn’t continue if he wasn’t getting enough out of it so I’m letting it be. Bryson has been into Henry and Mudge this week. He’s also progressing nicely in his Funnix. This week we read a story about a goat having a bit of trouble with some toads in a boat! ;-)
History
Jayden completed chapters 33 and 34 in SOTW3. Kylie completed 30 and 31. We have gone back to me reading the chapters to Kylie. She just does not comprehend well listening to the audio and she was starting to not like history. I don’t want that to happen so I went back to reading to her the last chapter she did and she fared much better. I enjoy SOTW too so it’s fine. Too soon for independence there.
Science
Jayden completed weeks 23 and 24 in chemistry. He started a new book this week that has lots of simple experiments in it. He did 4 experiments this week and was able to do all of them independently. I think things look good for him working independently in science this fall. He’s ready! I think he kind of likes doing it himself… he even invited his siblings to look in with him.
This week was less crazy and quite enjoyable. Baseball is going well for both boys… Rylan is particularly sad there is no baseball next week because of the 4th. Here are some picts…
Yes, these are two quarters and the dark one can boast making it completely through Bryson’s digestive system!
This is just a fun silly book that Rylan loved a couple years ago. We checked it out of the library and he was so sad to give it back. I put it on my paperbackswap.com list and just this past week received it! Rylan remembered it and fell in love with it once again!
Our backyard neighbor has gotten more bold. He/She now sits on the swingset in the back yard! This morning there was a mama robin who was quite an “Angry Bird!” When I got done exercising I went out on the porch and the hawk took off much to the mama’s pleasure. She flew after him just like she was saying, “And stay out!” Her baby should hatch any day now. Lots of holes in the egg and Kylie saw some feathers peaking out today. Hoping baby is safe enough under the deck! As for Mr. Hawk… he has a mate and we ****think*** maybe a baby hawk up in the nest. Not sure though.
“Church Lady’s” child prodigy… “Church Man!”
LOVE this update! We miss you all SO MUCH!! Hope to see you at the end of August!! Amie
ReplyDelete