Sunday, January 2, 2011

Some new things we're trying starting in January

Just for my sake more than anything, I'm posting some things we're trying differently starting this week...

1.  We're moving from doing history and science every day (4-5 days a week depending on projects) to doing each 2 days a week.  Monday and Tuesday will be history.  Wednesday and Thursday will be science.  Fridays will still be the day we do a history project if there's a good one for the week or finish any science projects we didn't get to.  I'm hoping this shortens our days a bit???

2.   I'm going to do more book reading for science and history with the younger two boys.  Rylan will still listen to SOTW3, but I may just ditch that for Bryson.  I'm not sure he gets a lot out of it anyway.  If Rylan begins to show disinterest I'll move to just reading books to him too.  I think we'll have more of an American history focus with the younger two and more of a world/American focus with the older two.  There are usually lots of great science books so I'm guessing that will be pretty easy.  I'd really like to do a state study, but it seems like just one more thing... not sure yet how to easily fit that in.  I'm contemplating doing this on Fridays taking one state a week.

3.  As Rylan is assessed I'm sure there will be some adjustments for him.  The first thing I'm going to try is incorporating more games into his school day.  He hates school and I'd love to change that.  I've been chatting with a very generous woman on the WTM board that has been sharing with me some ideas for Rylan.  I think games will be an ideal way to ignite his enthusiasm.  He LOVES games.  I'm also going to try and work in more for Bryson and the older two as I can...

4.  We are going to stop doing art for a bit and concentrate on music.  I bought the kids tin whistles so we'll learn on those.  Three of the kids play musical instruments so they get a lot of instruction through that, but I'd like to study some different musical periods as well as some composers.  I'd also like to get them listening to more classical music.

5.  This we started in Nov, but we joined the Y so we have access to a pool and gym all winter.  Very nice! The kids LOVE swimming and we essentially have the pool to ourselves when we go during school time. We are so spoiled!  We can also use the gym so I'm planning some gym activities.  A little tricky with such an age spread...

No comments:

Post a Comment