Everyone is truckin' along in their basic skills. I've noticed a huge improvement in Rylan's writing lately. So nice to see! Everyone did their normal lessons in the basics with no real unusual news.
The kids are really enjoying the Hooda Math site. I let them play the games a little each day, then Friday while I did geography with each child individually (corporate geography was a disaster last week!) they got to play a bit longer.
History found us in Europe this week. England and Spain to be specific. We read about the War of the Roses....
Are you as confused as we were? What a crazy time in
England! I'm surprised anyone knew who was king at all!
We also read about Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain, uniting the country. Which, was a good story all in all until the end... they evicted the Jews from Spain. Not nice. Kylie found a video on Marco Polo by Schlessinger Media. I'm really liking this company. They have some good videos. We watched this even though Marco Polo was a few weeks ago... good review.
In geography the kids continued mapping the world. Everybody is still on the 5 great circles and the Prime Meridian, except for Jayden. He is ready to move onto continents so today we mapped Africa. We are starting with blobs, just to get the continents in the correct place. Sad thing is, even if my kids can do this simple act (putting continent blobs in the correct place on a map) it will be more than most adults can do!
In science this week we covered Jupiter and Saturn. The kids are just enjoying this planet study so much! As am I. Their narrations are full of fun facts.
This experiment showed us why Saturn's rings
look solid and why we can see Saturn through the rings.
The camera can't see as fast as our
eyes so it's not quite the same on film!
Using tea leaves and water we made the swirling
gas storms on Jupiter. This showed us how the
red spot stays all clumped together in a giant
storm. Three Earth's can fit inside that red spot!
Hard to see, but here's the "funnel" we created by
spinning the water. The tea leaves didn't clump as much
as the picture in the book, but we were able to get the idea.
Here's our scale poster of the planets... it was so much fun
to see the kids' faces when they saw how big Jupiter is!
Here are some other highlights of the week...
We finally got around to cutting open the giant pumpkin.
As I had suspected it was rotting inside. (No one wanted
to believe me... why do moms have to always be the
"wet blanket?" :-) Greg was very sad... he was looking
forward to some pumpkin seeds! (By the way, he doesn't
normally dress in overalls... he was a farmer sowing seeds at
church on this morning!)
After the large pumpkin fiasco I decided to buy a "pie pumpkin"
and make pumpkin custard from scratch. We are gluten free
here and I didn't want to bother with a crust, so seeing as the
best part is the filling anyway, we just made custard.
Much better inside! Kylie cleaned out the inside of this
pumpkin and the one we grew in our garden. She harvested
all the seeds and we roasted them... they didn't last long!
Steaming the pumpkin...
Mixing the custard
Ready to go in the oven
Have you gathered we are a huge pumpkin loving
family? Greg was trying to keep the kids away from
the custard claiming it was his! Dessert was a huge hit and
I think I'll be out buying more pumpkins this weekend!
The boys (Jayden and Rylan) have been really enjoying
flag football. Rylan was sick this week, so he missed.
It let me concentrate on Jayden. Next week will be
Rylan's turn for picts!
Jayden's team is the Bears. The Vikings beat them
this week... too bad this is not indicitive of real life! ;-)
I'm really frustrated with Blogger's photo import process... grrrr... the only way to get
these is the right order is to staggar them like this....
Anyway, we had some interesting things this week with food... our pumpkin was rotten and I had a worm in my apple! Luckily, I cut it open first! The kids were pretty grossed out and are a little leary to eat apples now! My celery had a few ants today, but that was on purpose! :-)
I've been going a different direction with art. I found a great art blog while perusing some threads at WTM.
She has some great ideas on there so I thought I'd just try some of them for awhile. One idea was to read the book Ish by Peter A. Reynolds

In the story a young boy gives up drawing when his brother
laughs at his art work. His sister tells him his picture is
"vase-ish" and he ends up regaining his confidence. He makes
"ish" pictures and is once again happy drawing.
Since my kids very much like to do things the "right" way I thought
this would be a fabulous story to read. Then each child did their
own "ish" drawing.
Blogger is making my life difficult so these aren't in order...
Kylie's "Bible-ish"
Rylan's "Castle-ish"
Jayden's "Porcupine-ish"
Bryson's "ish" drawings
"Flag-ish", "House-ish", "Flashlight-ish"
and "Good Smell-ish" (He was using his
scented markers!)
And finally... we got to "game day" this week! The two older boys headed upstairs for a Pokemon duel and maybe?? Heroscape which Jayden just bought this week. I taught Kylie and Bryson a new game (for them) called Forbidden Island.
Grrrr... layout again....
They loved the game and we had a lot of fun playing it. I had to help them a lot with the strategy, but over time I think they'll catch on.
Is anybody else having as much trouble putting photos in as I am? This is crazy! Hope you all have a good weekend!






























What a magnificent week for your family. I enjoy looking at your photos and reading your comments. Thanks for sharing your family. I must have missed it, but what are you using for your geography studies?
ReplyDeleteIris
What a great week! Looks like you all had so much fun. The "ish" drawings were the best - especially the "good smell-ish" one. Too cute!
ReplyDeleteBlogger was awful for me last week with photos. This week was better, but not sure why. Hope it improves for you soon - it can be really frustrating!
Wildris,
ReplyDeleteI'm using Leigh Bortins' plan for geography as outlined in her book The Core. Basically, you teach the children to draw a world map from "scratch". I'm following the few early lessons she has and then I'll kind of make it up as I go. She gives you a general idea of what to do, but not specifics. I bought the book mostly for this one chapter! :-)
It looks like all had a great week. I love the pics! When Blogger won't work the way I like, I resort to cut and paste. Those functions do work for moving pictures.
ReplyDeleteWe processed a pumpkin this week too. I baked it though.
That was one big pumpkin! I really like the planet poster. I like how it shows up the size difference in the planets.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun week!! Will you be my teacher? :)
ReplyDeleteLove the planet additions this week!
ReplyDeleteWe scored some $1 and $2 pumpkins yesterday on the drive back from the RenFaire, which made dd's day considering only one of our garden pumpkins survived this year.
Somebody's been reading The Core! I love her ideas for geography - so simple but effective! Love reading about your space studies - we'll be starting our space study in January so I'm loving your ideas!
ReplyDeleteAs for blogger and pictures - I hated trying to upload pictures with it. Now I use Windows LiveWriter to write my posts and add pictures - it's a lot easier to use (and it's free!).
Wonderful week....I especially am glad Farmer Greg was able to show up and help...Blessings. G Nancy
ReplyDeleteWow! You always have so much fun.
ReplyDeleteAre you using the new uploader for blogger? If so once you upload your group of pictures, & they are in the queue, unclick them all. Then click them in the order you want them to be in your post and post. Voila. HTH, anyway.
Thanks Daisy! I unclicked them and then was trying to grab them to move them. Nothing can be intuitive for me! :-) I'll give that a try... I also downloaded Windows Live (thanks Tonia!) to give that a try... I may go with that. And can you tell my 6 y/o that school looks FUN to you??? Heh, heh.... I'm ready to send him to PS so he can appreciate what he has! :-0
ReplyDeleteHey G Nancy! Good to see you! It worked! And don't you dare ask Greg to wear those overalls when we visit you... because he will!! :-0
ReplyDelete